Spring Onion and Sprouted Green Gram Rice

Spring onion & sprouted green gram rice
Sprouted green gram makes a regular visit in our house as it is rich in nutrition. Of course, home made sprouts are always better in terms of taste and freshness. When I wanted to make them at home, I wondered if this was very difficult. But when my father was here in Malaysia, he showed me how to do sprout green gram and it was so easy to make.

It is rich in proteins and I usually make it like a salad or add it to the vegetables in the sandwich as a breakfast food. This time, I had some leftover sprouted green gram and lots of spring onion which I had to finish soon. Plus I wanted to make a dish which was quick to do on a weekend. I decided to combine this and make it like a mixed rice or more like a fried rice.

Whenever I do fried rice, I add in the usual vegetables like carrots/capsicum/cabbage. But this time, I did it differently with some green colored vegetable combinations - Capsicum/green sprouts/spring onion. You can also make it with just the sprouted green gram and the capsicum on days when you want to omit the garlic/onion in the food.

Time to Prepare: 25-30 minutes approximately

Number of Servings: 2 (in my case it served for my toddler as well)

Ingredients required:
Rice - Boiled (You may use Basmathi rice or normal white rice)
Capsicum - 1
Spring onion - 5-6 bulbs (one bulb here was having 3-4 leaves)
Sprouted Green Gram - 1/2 cup (You may use 1 cup as well)
Soya Sauce - 1 tbsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Green chilly - 2
Oil - 2 tbsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
Bay leaves - 1
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves
Salt

How to prepare:
1. Boil rice and keep it separately. You may also use Basmathi rice or normal white rice but make sure the rice is separate from each other. Chop all the vegetables and keep them aside.
2. Take a kadai and add in the oil and butter.
3. Add the bay leaves and let it splutter.Add the Green chilly and fry for a few seconds
4. The capsicum comes next in the kadai. Saute it for 4 minutes. You may also add the ginger garlic paste at this time.
5. Add in the spring onions along with the capsicum and saute it for another 3 mins. The spring onions cook easily so give it little time.
6. Next comes the Sprouted green gram. Sprouted Green grams are a wonder food and I will try to do a post on how to do them. If you have them from the shop, just add it in here. Saute them for another 3-4 minutes.
7. Mix well with everything and add a little salt according to your taste.
8. Add the soya sauce into the mixture in high flame. Let it mix for another 2 minutes.
9.Add in the Pepper powder. You may increase the spiciness according to your taste. I make it mildly spicy because I also have a toddler to have this. Let it get absorbed for another minute or two.
10. Next switch off the gas and add the rice to the mixture. Mix it well to make sure all the vegetables and the rice mix well.
11. You can add in coriander leaves once everything is mixed well.

Here is the step-wise pictures on how to do it:


Here you go with the Spring onion & Sprouted Green Gram Rice. I served it with Dal as I wanted to make some nutritious combination and something which is simple to make. Try it and let me know how it tasted.

Spring onion & sprouted green gram rice with dal
Spring onion & sprouted green gram rice

Comments

  1. great! i am going to try this now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prem. Do try it and let me know how it fared!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Spicy Odyssey's