How to store Coriander/Cilantro fresh in the fridge for more than 2 weeks!

Do you know the whole coriander plant is edible including the roots? Yes, you heard me right! Now, I know why I love this wonderful plant:)

The coriander leaves have a very distinct flavour when added to any meal and would enhance the overall taste. It changes the smell of the Indian rasam (tamarind and tomato flavoured soup) when added, gives a great taste when added to any salads or sandwiches. The coriander powder made from the seeds make it incomplete to finish any Indian masalas. When this plant has so many uses and tastes so yummy, how can I waste it every time I buy from the market?

It would not be possible to buy it everyday as fresh as possible due to my time constraints. I have to some how manage with whatever leaves I have for even 2-3 weeks. Is that possible to manage for weeks together? I failed in my first few attempts to store the coriander leaves in the fridge and my heart ached every time I had to throw the decayed leaves. That made me find out ways to store the coriander leaves in the fridge.

This way of storing coriander leaves and the whole stalk has been tried by me and it really worked amazingly! Yes, I could store them for even 2-3 weeks, the maximum limit being 3 weeks if your leaves were really fresh! Voila! I was so happy and I kept showing to hubby the magic created in storing my favourite herb for weeks together! If you are a coriander-lover like me, this might definitely help you so much! :)

Here we go with my version - easy-peasy way of storing the coriander leaves and stalk in the fridge.

1. Take a jar or a glass bottle depending on the size of your coriander plants. Fill half of the jar with water.



2. Once done, cut the coriander plant a bit above the roots and discard the roots. I am using the stalks as well to make the paste for my masalas. 


3. Take the whole plant after discarding the root and place it in the jar with the water. It is recommended to change the water in the jar at least 3-4 days once, so that the water remains fresh always. If you see any change in the colour of the water; just change it with fresh water so that the coriander remains fresh throughout the time.


4. Just cover the coriander leaves with a plastic sheet and secure it with a rubber band. This helps a lot so that the moisture is contained in the cover. This ensures that the coriander does not dry up when kept in the fridge. 


5. This picture below is taken after a week when i kept it in the fridge. Some of the leaves have started to turn Yellow but most of them are still intact with the same green colour. Just use up the leaves which shows a bit of yellow colour first so that you do not waste any of the them.

                           Taken after a week of storing the Coriander in the fridge

Some tips:
1. Do not cut the stalks and throw away because they taste the same as the coriander leaves. It can be used as a great addition for any masala paste giving a great taste enhancement. 
2. This way might work as well if you are storing outside the fridge but I have not tested it yet and I cannot confirm how many days or weeks it might stay fresh.
3. I never wash the coriander plant to remove any dust or soil particles because I can wash them just before I use them for the recipe. Just removing any dust with hand is sufficient. I have tried once to wash them and my leaves were decaying pretty quickly due to the water trapped inside them.


How do you store your fresh herbs for weeks together? If you have any better ways of storing, please share it with me in the comments! I would be much happier to know!

Enjoy your coriander flavoured dishes as much as I do by storing them this way. Happy Cooking!

Comments

Popular Spicy Odyssey's