Love of food: Rava Kichdi

Its been a month since I blogged. To be frank, I was busy with my house chores and cooking and would wait to hit the bed when its 10 PM. Though I like the idea of cooking for my family and being happy about it, the time frame to mentally conceive the dish to be prepared is a pretty much 'thinking' process. You have to zero down on that dish which would not be repeated very often. Plus consider what best nutrition it gives to us. I would be naming my blog posts with recipes as 'Love of food'.

So, today's blog post is about the very famous Rava kichdi which you can so often see in any Indian home. It is one of the staple dishes which would be relished by a lot of people. My mom loves this. I love the sight of colors this dish can give us. You can add in a lot of vegetables if you want to or make it so simple with a selected few vegetables. Without much delay, here we go with this recipe:

Ingredients needed:
Roasted Rava: 1 cup
onion: 1 (small)
Vegetables (peas, cabbage, carrots, beans, capsicum) : 1.5 cups (or more if needed)
green chili: 3
turmeric: pinch
salt: as per your requirement
water: 5 cups
ghee: 1tbsp

To temper:
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
uread dhal and channa dhal: 1 tsp
curry leaves: a small bunch

Method:
1. Chop all the vegetables finely and slit the green chilies into lengthwise.
2. I used roasted rava here, if you have plain rava, roast the rava well in oil without changing its color. I skipped this step. After roasting, keep it aside.
3. In a kadai, heat oil and put the items in temper. After a minute, add in the chilies and onions. Fry until the onions turn brown.
4. Add in the vegetables and fry for another 2-3 minutes in low flame.
5. Add the salt and turmeric and mix well.
6. Once the vegetables are mixed well, add in the roasted rava and fry for a minute. Add the ghee and mix it.
7. Add water and adjust the salt as per your requirements.
8. Mix well and then let the rava absrob all the water and cooks well. Keep it covered in low flame and give it a occasional stir.
9. Cook covered for another 8-10 minutes and make sure it is completely cooked.
10. Serve it with coconut chutney and Sambar. Delicious!

Tips: I love to add a lot of vegetables to this dish so my vegetables proportion would be a bit more than normal. You may adjust your vegetables as per your wish.

Comments

Popular Spicy Odyssey's