Those Memories | Write Tribe Festival of Words June 2018


The bag was wet and soaked in water. The floods were so bad that the water had come inside the buildings. It was a difficult sight to see; people were helping each other even in this time of calamity. I looked down at the things which were engulfed by the floody waters. 

A look at that saree brought back all the memories associated with the wedding. It was my wedding saree. The body of the saree was a bright mustard yellow and the pallu was a maroon colour. This was a combination I was dying to have in my wardrobe. But now, what colour has it become? I remember vividly the moments when I was sitting in the oonjal (swing) for a ritual. There were jokes cracked and people were teasing each other. Some were singing the traditional songs and it was feeling so good to be there. Now, all I have here is a saree soaked in water; the colours faded and some imprints from other sarees as well. 

Oh god! How can I get back this one?

I moved on to the other side and found a big cloth bag. The cloth bag was a bit heavy and seemed mushy. I then realised what was inside. Being a person who loved books, I had kept all the books and records which were written during my school days. It was all written with an ink pen and I realised they are gone for good. They were my memories of writing those records and doing the pictures with much attention to get that "5 stars + Excellent" from our teachers. It meant a lot at that point of time; a sense of pride. I would not give the records to anyone but me to do the pictures. Especially the Biology one! I would sit down and neatly outline the pictures and finish it no matter how much time it takes.

Oh those books and records! How can I show my children what their mother drew in her record books? How can I show them how well she drew? Never!

I realised one thing at that moment. Whatever things you have can be taken away anytime because they are all materialistic. You would not even get the time to understand what's happening. But your memories stay on forever. It is the memories which will bring happiness in any point of time. Create beautiful memories and be there at that moment. You are loaded with remembrances for your lifetime.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my entry for the Day 7 of the ‘Write Tribe Festival of words June 2018’. 
#writebravely | Creative Writing Prompts | Day 7

"Day 7 – A dark and heavy storm suddenly takes over your neighborhood, dropping 6 feet of water so quickly that the storm drains can’t handle it. The water flooded your street and your basement, ruining many of your things. As you rummage through your stuff, you are filled with memories. Think about your…"

If you would like to read my previous posts, please check them hereherehere and here.

Comments

  1. So true. I consoled myself saying the same when I lost some precious photographs... Water got flooded, but memories remain!
    - Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have experienced it! Sadly, we need to learn to live with the memories associated with that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Spicy Odyssey's